Sunday, December 31, 2006

Hip Hop in a NUTSHELL (again)

I'm sure many of you have read my previous blog stated "Hip hop in a NUTSHELL", because I have gotten a few comments about that blog. I just want to clarify some things that were stated in my first blog, "Hip Hop in a Nutshell".
When I wrote that blog, it was VERY early in this class. I didn't really know much about hip hop at first, but I was open anyway and decided to share what I thought. My thoughts have changed a little. NOT A LOT, but a little. I do NOT think EVERYTHING in hip-hop is real (okay Tony? LOL). However, I can see how some people may think so. I understand that artists state a lot of true feelings in their work that has to deal with what is actually happening in the world. Not saying I don't respect that but...after listening to Tony's presentation the other day, gave me a different insight. I'm glad to find out that NOT everyone who loves hip hop...thinks it is completely "real"...so to speak. *so thank you Tony for helping me with that one*
On the other hand...I still feel the same way about the vulgar language in the lyrics. After Sully posted on my blog *hip hop in a nutshell* I can see where he is coming from thinking that cursing in lyrics accentuates the meaning...maybe more ppl agree with Sully...and maybe not. I am totally up for learning what other people think on my topics...and most the time I try to see eye to eye with them...when they explain to me exactly why they feel a certain way about a certain topic.
BUT this is not one of those times. I don't think cursing accentuates the meaning more...than using other words. Maybe artists sales would go up...if, perhaps...they used better language. I know I would let my sister listen to it then.
I'm just glad I've learned so much in this class.
AND GUESS WHAT GUYS...I've actually started listening to Hip Hop now...SO BE proud!
LOL!
http://www.shanghaiist.com/archives/2006/10/12/its_official_ja.php (website over Jay Z's show getting canceled in China b/c his lyrics were too vulgar!)
http://www.allhiphop.com/Hiphopnews/?ID=6251 (jay z's response)!
http://www.hiphopeducation.us/ (different lyrics for children)

2 comments:

Monicaann said...

Well I know that Morgan and I are friend so we are going to share similar feelings on some topics and this is one of them. I am not saying that I don't think that sometimes it is okay for people in hip hop to use some language when it is neccessary but I also think that there is a fine line between it helping the meaning of the song and just saying it to say it. I think to when we talk about language we have to think about what target audience they are looking to sell their albums too. When you use language you are narrowing your audience down to people above the age of 18 and in that there are some people who don't even get to buy them even when they are old enough because of thier parents opinons. I know that hip hop people don't really care about what people think when they say those words because to them it is real life but sometimes as I read tony wrote on morgans comments that hip hop is not always real life. So are there times when they use language and it may be discussing something not true? I don't know I just feel like sometimes there are other ways to get your point across without language.

Tony said...

Haha...sorry if it seemed like I was picking on you (or everyone that didn't/doesn't know about hip-hip. That was not my intention. I am just passionate about music and hip-hop culture. It is one of the few things I've found that I'm reasonably knowledgeable at. This is the first class that I get to play 'smart kid' in.

To readdress the cussing.....

You know...as an amateur MC/freestyler myself (don't laugh..I try), I've found that many times a cuss word is the only word that fits the scheme of the rhyme. I mean, think about this: to formulate a lyric that not only fits a beat, but rhymes, and makes some kind of lyrical sense you have to be extremely savvy of syllables. Sometimes, a non-essential cuss word can fill that gap without altering the content of the line. There are cuss words that are one, two, three, or four syllables, which would seem to accommodate any rapper that needs to fill such a gap.
My two cents.
-T