Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Letter to the President

http://www.justfocus.org.nz/articles/2006/08/29/letter-to-the-president-review/
This website gives reviews and critiques over the movie, "Letter to the President"

I had never seen the movie before, and I actually enjoyed it. It taught me a lot about the hip hop artists. When the movie first started, it was talking about how Jessie Jackson was hip hop...b/c he grew up poor in SC. It was portraying that being poor and from the hood is what a rapper should be...or was (in my opinion). It started talking about new drugs emerging and everyone was trying this drug (crack-cocaine) b/c it was new or just to make money. They used it to escape reality. The cops were the actual bad guys, b/c they were the ones actually selling the drugs to help out the govt, no one knew this or believed it even when the rappers were singing about it.
As the movie progressed I started to feel a lil differently about the hip hop artists. JayZ states, "everything gets addressed in our music, and that's what makes it real. It shows everyone what we go through here in the projects, it shows the truth".
I had never heard about Operation Pipe Line, and learning about it honestly just pissed me off. Why on earth would cops pull ppl over for no reason? And then when they did pull them over cops thought they may be drug trafficking b/c they were black, looked nervous, had a destination circled on a map, etc... That is just ridiculous!
Toward the end of the movie, it showed all the rappers/artists showing their support for the Presidential Election. VOTE OR DIE (there isn't a better way to put it). In a way I think rappers are leaders...for putting themselves out there to try and get young adults to take charge in what they want and prove it by voting.
I enjoyed this movie, and hope to be enlightened more on the "hip hop" subject in the next weeks.

1 comment:

MFW said...

hey, just like anything else, it is a wee bit intimidating until you become familiar, like any class you have taken, where once you get your feet wet, you are okay. Once you break through, it will be all good as they say.....remember, there are all types of perspectives on hip hop, letter to the president was one.....