Thursday, December 21, 2006

Presentation #1

http://www.emergency.com/la-riots.htm (la riot website)

The presentation given in class today by Scooby and Heather was phenomenal. I learned so much. It's crazy how much you can learn from your own peers. They taught me a lot. Not only about Ice Cube, but about a lot of what went on in the early ninety's. I learned about the Rodney King story and the LA riot that occurred shortly after. They truly gave a great presentation.

I especially liked learning so much about Ice Cube's Lyrics.

Scooby and Heather informed the whole class that Ice Cube began to write lyrics that were giving hints that a riot was in the future. Ice Cube’s song, “Black Korea” talked about how no one was getting along when it came to race. No one was being treated equally and something, soon, would happen about it. Nevertheless, on April 29, 1992 the LA Riot broke out right after Rodney Kings hearing was finalized. People went crazy.

Ice Cube’s lyrics, after the Riot, were about what everyone was going through at that time. People started listening more and more because it was real. The music actually told the truth on what was going on in the world. His famous song, “We Had To Tear This Mothafucka Up” talked about how riots and disturbances of the peace should not be permitted for the better of the nation.

Today was a very good class in general, but I liked learning so many things, that I had absolutely no clue about before!

1 comment:

Graham said...

I definitely agree with you that the presentation by Scooby and his partner were awesome. The whole thing on the riots was something that was craz. I also never knew that there was so much tension between the Koreans and the African Americans down in L.A.
As far as Ice Cube goes, he is awesome. I have never really listened to his music, but from some of the lyrics that he has it seems that he is ahead of his time. I really no Ice Cube more for his roles in the Friday movies. Ice Cube is much more than just a hard core rapper but he is an intelligent person. It really seems like he knows what he's doing with his life and where he is going. Moreover, he is in touch with his people and with his roots. He cares about his people and his music and his films really represent that. Cube is very talented and should be recognized for all of his achievements across the board.