Thursday, January 4, 2007

My road to HIP-HOP

I know this is going to sound a little reverberated...but it's kinda my story throughout this hip-hop class. So here it goes...
I enrolled in this class with my friend Monica, and my co-worker Kari. We all needed an upper division JMC elective...and heard M-Money was THE BEST. So we said why not. Me and Monica proceeded to take 2 intersession classes total this December to get a few more hours under our belt so we could speed up the race to graduation!!
The first day of class, I'm not going to lie...I was TERRIFIED. Everyone in the room seemed to know just a tad more about hip-hop than the person sitting next to him/her ....and for some reason, I kept thinking I was the one at the bottom end of that metaphor. HAHA, yes I do have a funny side!
Okay...but down to business. I learned so much over the past too short 3 weeks. I learned about many hip-hop artists that I have never even heard of. The most beneficial days for me in this class were hands down the 1st one, the day me and Monica did our presentation over women in hip-hop, the presentation over 2Pac and Biggie, and when Fair-N-Hyte came to visit. I really don't want to sound cliché...but I have learned so much from M-Money and all my other classmates I don't know what to do with 1/2 the information. I started listening to more hip-hop and trying to understand EVERY meaning behind the beats, and learned that people actually live and dress the style of hip-hop...and that doesn't mean they are going to rob a 7-11 (huh, SCOOBY?) LOL
I like the simple fact that everyone in the class has/had a different perspective on hip-hop. It brings color to our class...so we are no longer just the dull colors of black and white. It takes a bunch of personalities, ideas, and voices to bring a beautiful collage together...and that's what our class has done....and that is solely because of you, Flippin!!
M-Money, I don't know how your other classes have gone...but WOW, I think you should be very proud to have such a caring, knowledgeable, ready to learn, and EXCITED class about hip-hop. We all listened in ahh...when you spoke up and enlightened us with your STUPENDOUS knowledge of the subject. I know you got frustrated toward the end...b/c some of us became a little too needy and demanding..that's why I’m sure I speak for us all...when I say, not only "Thank You"....but You really changed a piece of all of us, no matter in what aspect!!
I'm not looking for brownie points, but I do want to speak up for the ENTIRE class...b/c I know they all feel the same!
I learned more than I ever could have imagined in this 12-day class. I will always remember what you, Scooby, Tony, Bekah, Korie, Clark..etc...had to say to throw their different colors onto the collage.
I know now, I will cherish hip-hop from here on out...and THANK YOU EVERYONE for that!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color
http://www.rapnews.net/0-202-259247-00.html?tag=artistnav
http://www.daveyd.com/raptitle.html

1 comment:

MFW said...

I am humbled and overwhelmed. The class is the cog that makes everything worthwhile. thank you.