DJ Mass= the DJ
Richard aka Liquid = the Producer
Fair-N-Hyte = the MC
These 3 young gentlemen came to our class today to give us some insight on them as hip-hop artists and answered a lot of questions the class had.
DJ Mass did the most talking, and had some really great things to say.
He started out by saying that music these days are only 10 percent talent and 90 percent business. He went on to elaborate and agree with Fair-N-Hyte on how hip-hop is, in fact, a way of life. That brought a little confusion to me...because if you have read any of my other blogs, I have been so confused on why people actually say that!!
So I asked the question "what is hip-hop?" Fair-N-Hyte chose to answer. he said grafiti, jump roping to music, etc all EQUAL hip-hop.
Liquid and DJ Mass went on to answer Nick's question..."Is hip-hop dead, like NAS states in his new CD?"
They both feel it is dead because of the language!!! Hmm...so maybe what I have been preaching in these blogs does mean something to OTHERS. I guess I'm not the only one who thinks the language is OUT OF CONTROL!
They continued by saying before you never had to cover babies ears. The music was there to teach and enlighten them about the past or what was going on in the present. BUT NOW...there are parental advisories on ALMOST every single CD out there!!
We all know about professional sports. I'm infatuated with NFL!! So when they compared hip-hop to a pro-sport...I totally understood. In the music industry it's a fight to the top...kinda like players fight to the top to get drafted first. Whoever gets drafted first makes the most money...and in the end that's what everyone wants in the long run anyway, right?
I understand that before artists were in the business for the love of the game. Now it's all about the dinero!
Artists get paid 13 cents every time one of their songs is played for ONE minute on the radio. MAN that adds up. They also get paid 40 cents per CD. All the other money goes to the producers.
They all think we should put good values into our children now. We should teach them to do good, because before their moms were all crack heads, and that should change!
This wonderful trio has great music, and good lyrics. I really respect them and what they are trying to do in the hip-hop world. I know I hope to hear them do well in this business.
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendID=107312272
www.ninjaarrow.com
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hip_Hop_Is_Dead
Wednesday, January 3, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment